I am only one, But still I am one. I cannot do everything, But still I can do something; And because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can doEdward Everett Hale

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Tuesday February 9th

Today we got up and got an early start. We left camp at 6:45 to go to the General Hospital. When I arrived there I found Mana had had a very bad night. She was in a lot of pain and was screaming and crying. The only nurses left in that tent were Haitian nurses and they don't usually give the best care and attention. I sat and talked with her for a little while and tried to calm her down before I had to leave to the ICU tent for the day. I worked changing IV solutions, changing dressings and translating. Joel and I took a lunch break today and walked to the Centrale Chapel in Port-au-Prince to meet a bishop who was just a young man (a deacon) in Jeremie when we served in that area. It's so good to see people we knew from before and to see they are still strong in the church. We came back and worked in the ICU again. (CNN was filming in our tent today, and they interviewed some of the doctors and talked about what Healing Hands for Haiti does.) The conditions these people are trying to heal in is unbelievable! There are flies everywhere and it is hot and sticky. The tent is about 100 degrees inside. In the late afternoon one of the Haitian translators that is working with us had a wisdom tooth that was really bothering him, so I numbed him up and extracted it for him. We got a ride back to camp with the 82nd airborne, had a nice testimony meeting and were given plans for our departure tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment