I am only one, But still I am one. I cannot do everything, But still I can do something; And because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can doEdward Everett Hale

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Friday February 5/Saturday February 6

Today was a much better day! I got up and felt much better, back to normal. We had an early start to the day. We caught a ride across town to a chapel in Cafrourr. We set up to do a medical and dental clinic in the cultural hall. After about an hour there we had about 200 lined up to be seen. As far a dental patients we had about 40. My first patient of the day was an 18 year old girl with really bad tooth decay on her front 4 teeth. She said they hurt very, very bad and that she could not afford to fix them. I felt bad for her because at home with the proper equipment and tools I could have fixed them so easily, but with what I have here it was impossible. The work from there went straight down hill...it was very difficult. All the people we saw had teeth that were either broken off or decayed to the bone. The room was very warm and the stress didn't help with the sweating. We started around 10:30am and didn't finish until around 5:30pm nonstop, without a break. All in all between Joel and I we extracted about 35-40 teeth. The day ended up with a long tap-tap ride back to camp. Ready for a shower and some peanut butter crackers...
Today we were back in Petionville. We set up our clinic once again in the Petionville chapel. We ran our dental clinic until we ran out of anesthetic. Then we walked over to our old Mission President's house. They moved to a new home but the church still owns it and uses it as a base for humanitarian efforts. It was fun to walk through it again after 20 years. We did a lot of walking to get there and back up and down the hills (travel isn't very easy in Haiti) We came back to camp and had a meeting with the entire group. We were reminded to be safe as we travel around. To go in large groups to avoid any chance of problems which is a great idea. Tonight I am assigned to go out and translate for the military on a rice drop. They do that at 2 am so people are not on the streets and start a food riot. I'll tell you how it goes tomorrow. Also looking forward to going to church once again with the Haitian people. Love you all. Thank you to all the friends, family, ward members and anyone reading my blog. Thank you also for your prayers on our behalf. I know they are helping! Please continue to pray for comfort and strength for the people of Haiti...they will need your prayers for a very long time.

1 comment:

  1. Doug, Thank you for sharing your thoughts, feelings, and experiences as you serve the people of Haiti. Not only your language skills came back quickly but even those general dental skills too. We pray for you as well as the Haitian people. Bishop McDonald

    ReplyDelete